Board logo

标题: Cincinnati.com上滴一篇文章★★Cowen说了结尾是那样滴原因(2005-06-17) [打印本页]

作者: qqqq2046    时间: 2005-6-23 09:24     标题: Cincinnati.com上滴一篇文章★★Cowen说了结尾是那样滴原因(2005-06-17)

来源http://news.cincypost.com/apps/p ... FE/506170335/-1/all

Pioneering gay series drawing to a close

By Rick Bird
Post staff reporter

It's a familiar rite-of-passage storyline that has long been tapped for TV drama and comedy: Hormonal 20-somethings play the singles scene experimenting with drugs and sex. At some point there is the impulse to settle down, have a family and career.

That journey has played out in a groundbreaking way for five seasons on Showtime. It's a familiar soap opera story, yet radically different, since this show is "Queer as Folk," the sexually explicit series about the coming-of-age exploits of a group of gay friends in Pittsburgh.

As the fifth and final 13 episodes currently unfold (10 p.m. Sundays), these friends are worried about family, career and custody battles. It's essentially an American middle-class story, says Ron Cowen, the executive producer and writer of the series. He ought to know about "Midwest values," raised in Paddock Hills and North Avondale, a 1962 Walnut Hills High School grad.

(There are two other Cincinnati connections: Actor Hal Sparks, who plays Michael, was born here and raised in Peaks Mill, Ky.; New Hampshire native Randy Harrison, who plays Justin, is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music.)

While the series is set in Pittsburgh, Cowen says viewers can think Cincinnati.

"Cincinnati was my first idea. We wanted some second-tier Midwestern city. We didn't want San Francisco," Cowen said. "We didn't want them to be in the big city glam or entertainment industries. We have shopkeepers, lawyers, accountants -regular people. They were in their 20s dancing, partying, having sex. We wanted to show these guys had a busy sex life, like any guy in his 20s, instead of the way (gays) are usual portrayed as being asexual."

Cowen, along with his co-producer and life partner, Daniel Lipman, are no strangers to TV firsts. In 1985 they wrote "An Early Frost," the first TV movie about AIDS, and "Sisters," the Emmy-winning NBC series that was, perhaps, the first to focus on the hopes and fears of a group of women, arguably a precursor to "Desperate Housewives."

"Queer as Folk" will go down as the first gay drama series and the first TV show to graphically depict homosexual sex. But Cowen sees the series as groundbreaking in another sense: It was the first to immerse viewers in a gay culture that shows gays have the same hopes and dreams - and yes, hormones - as straights. While gay characters have popped up everywhere on television, they are usually portrayed as the comic foil or the AIDS victim.

"These are guys now getting married, having children. They are concerned about their jobs, buying homes," Cowen said about his characters. "We took these guys on a journey from their 20s to 30s. I think for most men of any sexual persuasion, they undergo a huge change at that age."

For the first time the series is getting overtly political leading up to the finale, with life-altering consequences for some of the main characters because of their political activism. Cowen says it reflects the current debate over gay marriage, as his characters will lobby against a referendum designed to prevent gay marriage similar to what was passed last November in Ohio.

Cowen thinks with the last election the advancement of gay rights has taken a severe setback. Cowen even says the current climate is so anti-gay that he thinks, "We had a window of opportunity five years ago to do this show. I don't think we could do it today."

Ironically, Cowen said most criticism of the series when it launched has not come from religious groups or the straight community, but from gays. Some homosexuals were uncomfortable their lifestyle was being depicted so graphically. It was a reaction Cowen was unprepared for.

"There is a lot of shame out there, especially from older gay men. You are showing their dirty laundry. 'I don't want my coworkers and straight friends to see what you are showing,' I was told," Cowen said. "But that criticism is really not about the show. It's the problems with their own personal issues, especially in places like Cincinnati or Pittsburgh where people had to live very private and secretive lives."

The series has always explored in a soap opera way - often with campy humor - the conflicts and different values within the gay community.

In the final episodes, Cowen and Lipman are doing that even more brilliantly, presenting different gay concepts of family that also can raise the "dirty laundry" of the gay lifestyle.

They are depicting the messy custody battles that can exist when lesbian women artificially inseminate, then split up, and the case of a gay man, coming out late in life, who has custody of his teenage son, who has HIV.

The overriding theme in these final installments is acceptance and how that's defined.
"Some want to be able to move to the suburbs and assimilate, and there are others who want to remain living in a gay world, in a gay community," Cowen said. "I think every minority group goes through that. Jewish people, blacks, every minority in our history has that conflict at some point. Do we assimilate or stay true to our cultural identity."

Cowen takes greatest pride when he hears from the heterosexual community, which he estimates is about half the audience. "People always come up to me and say, 'Before I saw your show I was very prejudiced toward gays. I didn't know a lot.' "

Cowen says he's been able to take a novelist's approach to the series, always knowing he had a five-year deal and that would be it. His says the ending won't be nice and neat, just as life isn't: "Nothing really ends. I feel it's an honest and satisfying ending. I don't think it's melodramatic. Lives go on."(在偶看来这是个烂理由,偶喜欢happy ending) [s:217]
作者: papapanda    时间: 2005-6-23 10:45

虽然不是很明白.....但是SF还是要坐地
作者: peridot    时间: 2005-6-23 11:29

看过了。。。尤其是最后一段,当时甚至觉得他们说得还挺能让我接受,但不幸的是碰巧在看到这篇文章的第二天又看到了一个完完全全是与他的说法差了十万八千里的更有说服力的东西,大家早晚都会看到
anyway...决定继续在每晚睡觉前鄙视CL100000遍......
作者: air    时间: 2005-6-23 11:35

“Lives go on”,听起来在编剧心目中,这个结局真的不算什么happy的,甚至就此分开各自开始生活的可能性颇大,汗,赶紧跑~!!
作者: 模棱两可    时间: 2005-6-23 11:39

其实这篇文章不错,我以前看过。

想想QAF里面的人物都在尽量勇敢的面对自己和社会,即使是Michael,排除掉Brian。不太清楚美国2004年发生了什么惊动“同性恋社会”的大事,除了布什当选之外,另外我本人并不真的完全的反对或者说厌恶保守主义,对于那些反对Gay的人,我认为他们的想法并非不可理解,不可接受,一个包含文化因素太多的社会,出于道德的需要总是有很多人会趋向于保守、回归传统,再加上宗教信仰的影响,即使很多人只是把个人的阴暗心态扣上宗教的帽子。

虽然在第五季里面C/L关于GAY自我保护、掩饰、不愿意把他们的行为如实暴露在太阳底下的剧情几乎没有,但是二三季这样的情节还是有不少的。

异性恋所有畸形的、丑陋的、肮脏的、扭曲的、复杂的行为都有艺术工作者用自己的方式表现在大众面前,我觉得一些人关注、欣赏、或者评论这些现象并不代表他们认为这些现象一定发生在自己的朋友身上,更不代表他们恐惧,但是也许对于在社会环境中相对弱势的同性恋来说,给与一种更加“积极向上、蒸蒸日上、道德完美、天下安宁”的形象更能使他们轻松的生存在下去,另外很多人也许根本就不想得到关注,关注的少,麻烦也少。

也许还是大众的话语权集中掌握在“异性恋政权”手里的原因,不反抗并不是错误,懦弱也是人。相对也许是C/L过于“勇敢”了也不一定,他们在用他们最后的力量表达他们的想法,我个人觉得带着一点遗憾和惆怅的味道,不是对故事,而是对美国社会。

——模棱两可
作者: qqqq2046    时间: 2005-6-23 11:39

His says the ending won't be nice and neat, just as life isn't: "Nothing really ends. I feel it's an honest and satisfying ending. I don't think it's melodramatic. Lives go on."

他滴这种说法。。。。根本无法让偶接受。。。。以前坛子就有人说过。。。但马上被反驳鸟。。

可现在是Cowen 说。。。戏也拍完鸟。。。偶们只有接受滴份。。。不然还能怎样。。自己编S6。。。
作者: air    时间: 2005-6-23 11:39

下面是引用peridot于2005-06-23 11:29发表的:
看过了。。。尤其是最后一段,当时甚至觉得他们说得还挺能让我接受,但不幸的是碰巧在看到这篇文章的第二天又看到了一个完完全全是与他的说法差了十万八千里的更有说服力的东西,大家早晚都会看到
anyway...决定继续在每晚睡觉前鄙视CL100000遍......

这个这个,听起来好像是个不好的消息,大人能不能提前给偶们打个预防针,到时候偶可以选择视而不见!
作者: qqqq2046    时间: 2005-6-23 11:55

下面是引用模棱两可于2005-06-23 11:39发表的:
另外很多人也许根本就不想得到关注,关注的少,麻烦也少。
——模棱两可

That's why Cowen said most criticism of the series when it launched has not come from religious groups or the straight community, but from gays. Some homosexuals were uncomfortable their lifestyle was being depicted so graphically

偶也觉得C/L过于“勇敢”了。。。。
作者: peridot    时间: 2005-6-23 11:58

下面是引用air于2005-06-23 11:39发表的:

这个这个,听起来好像是个不好的消息,大人能不能提前给偶们打个预防针,到时候偶可以选择视而不见!
也没啥~就是煽情呗~说得好像很好听的样子结果却搞个大煽情,说到底弄个什么“lives go on”还不就是为了赚观众眼泪。
我真的对剧情的理解很浅薄,只能这么觉得了~~
作者: 贵之水    时间: 2005-6-23 12:21

都说是a familiar soap opera story了,为什么还要贴近现实???观众喜欢看什么演什么就好了呀~~
作者: 玥华    时间: 2005-6-23 13:44

不管咋的都一锤子定音了……接不接受都得看下去……谁叫俺们都深陷这大坑……注定是要被活埋了……恨俺没钱啊……否侧不管咋的都要把这两只整一块儿去……
作者: 冰蝎子    时间: 2005-6-23 20:12

晕乎乎,有没有好心人翻译一下啊
作者: longxiuxiu    时间: 2005-6-24 03:41

不管了
反正沒看到小justin上飛機
我不管!!!
他肯定在babylon的某個角落
作者: jh1    时间: 2005-6-24 11:26

下面是引用冰蝎子于2005-06-23 20:12发表的:
晕乎乎,有没有好心人翻译一下啊
同感!
作者: mik    时间: 2006-6-3 15:51

很同意“模棱两可 ”的说法,“断背山”没获得最佳影片,我想也是这个原因之一。太政治了,还是不说为妙。
作者: unruhe    时间: 2006-6-3 20:36

"Cowen said most criticism of the series when it launched has not come from religious groups or the straight community, but from gays"

Surprise, surprise, and it also said at the final goodbye .
作者: manman76    时间: 2006-6-4 01:38

两个人左右了多少JJMM的心情啊
作者: murasaki    时间: 2008-2-12 22:05

求翻译啊 .................

看不太懂啊 ...........  我ENGLISH太差了 哈哈

欢迎光临 Queer As Folk中文站 | 同志亦凡人中文站 | QAF中文站 (https://qafone.cc/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2